The Balaklava HistoryMuseum
Balaklava, Nazukin embankment, building 5, Manto Lane Corner
Tel.: +7 (978) 041-37-96
Daily from 10:00 to 19:00
lunch break from 13:00 to 14:00
Full – 500 rubles
Children – 150 rubles
Children under 7 years old – free
The museum founder (director / owner)
Rostislav Ivanovich Gontar
The museum’s history originated in 2005 with Sergei Rostislavovich Gontar, who began to deal with Crimean military history at that time.
In 2006, with the International Military-Historical Association and personally with its president, Alexander Mikhailovich Valkovich, we organized and carried out more than 10 military-historical reconstructions, including Alminskiy heights and the Camp near Balaklava. By 2012, both festivals had become significant events for people interested in the First Defense of Sevastopol of 1854-1855.
In 2015, the decision was made to open a living history museum dedicated to the unknown pages of the Crimean (Eastern) war of 1853-1856. Over the four years of our work, the museum has been visited by a large number of Crimean guests who left the warmest reviews about our activities. Our museum is engaged in the restoration of abandoned places associated with the history of the First Defense of Sevastopol. We have restored the only mass grave in the world of Russian, English, and Scottish soldiers who fell on the Inkerman battlefield on November 5, 1854. In 2019, we erected a monument to the first sister of mercy of Russia, Dasha of Sevastopol, on the Altminsk battlefield. We are also engaged in the restoration of an abandoned Sonnoye, or Gorchakovsky, cemetery, where the officers of the Russian army lie who were wounded on the Chernorechensky battlefield on August 4, 1855 and who died from their wounds in three mobile hospitals on the river Belbek on the north side of Sevastopol.