The Home Museum “Sculptures of the Masters of Gzhel”
Moscow Region, Ramenskii district, Novokharitonovo village, Building 44
Tel.: +7 (903) 677-03-55, +7 (925) 609-34-78
09:00 – 17:00 daily
Free, no more than 5-7 visitors at a time
Founder of the museum
Sergei Valentinovich Malkin
The main task of the museum is to collect all-new products of Gzhel masters.
Gzhel land has long been famous for pottery production, the beginning of which was given by deposits of local high-quality clays exposed at the surface. There are two versions of the origin of the word “Gzhel”. The first is related to the verb “burn” – “burn clay”. According to another version, Gzhel is a river (a tributary of the Moscow River), which gave the name to the Volost (district), and later to the village of Gzhel.
Gzhel is a district located sixty kilometers from Moscow, consisting of 27 villages and townships united in the “Gzhel Bush”. Gzhel is one of the oldest crafts of our country. The first official mention of Gzhel as a center for ceramic production was attested in the Spiritual Charter of Grand Duke Ivan Kalita in 1339. But, unfortunately, there is still no museum of Gzhel folk art craft in a region with a centuries-old history of pottery.